What is an Assistant Instructor – Is a valuable step up from being a Divemaster. As well as performing Divemaster duties, the AI is the first professional instructor level where you are able to teach parts of entry-level diving courses as well as skills to both certified and non-certified divers and learn how to assist instructors on various courses.
Once qualified and in addition to the programs taught by active status Professional Dive Guides, active status Assistant Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following programs:
- Scuba Skills update
- Try Scuba
- Scuba Rangers
- Perfect Buoyancy Program
- Teach the Academic and pool/confined water sessions of the Open Water Diver Course (with the exception of the emergency ascent skills) under the indirect supervision of an active status Open Water Instructor.
- Directly supervise and evaluate surface skills during open water training dives for the Open Water Diver program under the indirect supervision of an active status Open Water Instructor.
- Qualify to become a Specialty Instructor for some SSI Specialty programs.
- Enroll in an Instructor Training Course.
AI Course structure - The four-day course consists of independent study, academic sessions, presentations, water skill circuits and water skills presentations. Including role-play as instructor, AI and student throughout a series of evaluations.
- Read and complete Sections 1-6, including reviews and assessments, of the Instructor Training Course digital learning.
- Complete Academic Sessions 1-6 as outlined in the instructor manual for the Instructor Training Course.
- Complete the program's final exam.
- Complete the Candidate Water Fitness Evaluation if it has been more than six months since the candidate has been evaluated.
- Tread water for 15 minutes without using any aids or flotation of any kind
- Swim 700 meters without stopping within 20 minutes using a mask, fins and a snorkel or Swim 375 meters without stopping, and without the use of mask, fins, snorkel or other swim aids.
- Swim underwater for 25 meters using a mask and fins.
- Perform a full, unconscious-diver-on-the-surface rescue with a total distance of 100 meters within eight (8) minutes. Both parties must use a Total Diving System.
- Pass all requirements and evaluations for Practical Application Sessions 1-7 as outlined in the instructor manual for the Instructor Training Course
Independent study note – It is key to come to each day of your course fully prepared and ready to learn. The intensive daily schedule is tailor made under the assumption that all independent study is complete. You will not be allocated time during the day to complete your independent study.
Take the plunge into the world of the Diving Professional! Already and AI? Your next step is SSI Open Water Instructor.
- Digital training materials.
- Digital certification card.
- Physical training materials.
- The course does not include equipment rental.
- Professional application fee (paid directly to SSI) €91.00.
- Medical statement.
SSI Assistant Instructor candidates should normally have their own diving equipment. Missing items may be rented from us, for a supplement.
Already an AI? Your next step is SSI Open Water Instructor. Best combined with Instructor Training Course.